Skip to the menu or the main section
Monday 18th February 2019
Site Sections: Home About the club Mountaineering Centre/Hut Members Meets Gallery Links
Within this Section: Centre Layout | H&S Policy | Marconi Hall History
Just three months after the official opening of Marconi Hall (as it was then known), the First World War started. The governments plans for a series of wireless telegraph stations throughout the Empire were still on the drawing board. The Caernarfon station was the newest, most advanced and most important in Britain, equipped with Marconi's latest invention the synchronous disc discharger. At the outbreak of hostilities the government intervened and transferred control from Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company, initially to the General Post Office and then to the Admiralty. In Dec 1914 a blockhouse was under construction for the national reserve who were brought to guard the station.
Throughout the war there were regular transmissions to Egypt and Russia. Research intensified and in June 1916 Marconi's timed disc was installed. It was with this apparatus that the first wireless messages from Britain to Australia were sent in 1918. The following messages were sent by Landline from London and transmitted on behalf of the Australian Prime Minister direct to Australia on September 22nd 1918. They were received by F Fisk Esq.
The commercial service from London to New York for which the station was originally built, eventually began in 1921.
The CHAmois Mountaineering Centre (Marconi Hall) was purpose built residential accommodation for the engineers who worked at the station. The CHAmois Club purchased the property in June 1975 and it's members devoted many weekends and holidays carrying out extensive repairs and alterations proir to the official opening by Lord Hunt on 1st May 1976.